Monday, January 25, 2010

Alex's Ears

Last Friday Steve took Alex to have his BAER test done. It had been over a month since he had the tubes placed in his ears and at his follow-up appointment he failed his OAE hearing tests in both ears. The BAER is a very detailed test that measures the brain activity as sounds are transmitted into his ears. He had to be sedated for the test being that it lasted an an hour and 45 minutes and he had to hold really still. He did well with the sedation, but the poor guy for the rest of the day was frustrated because he couldn't play like normal since he couldn't really control his body. He was really floppy and off balance. He enjoyed sitting on the couch between Steve and I and watching Disney movies. :-)

Unfortunately, the results weren't happy ones. It was discovered that Alex has severe hearing loss in his left ear and moderate in the right. He can hear some higher tones but that's about all. We are waiting to hear what the next step is, but most likely he is going to have an MRI to see if the problem is structural or neurological. He's going to get fitted for hearing aids and is going to start working with a speech/language pathologist really soon. Usually they like to catch this type of hearing loss at 6 months and get the intervention working right away to prevent slow language development, so Alex at a year old is high priority. Steve and I know a little sign language and although the doctor says it is likely that with the help of hearing aids Alex's language will develop just fine, he said it would be helpful for Alex to learn sign so that he can communicate before his words develop. I gotta tell ya, I'm a little overwhelmed with the thought of teaching sign; I loved learning it but teaching it to my own child....I feel very under qualified and don't really know where to start. Any ideas? :-)

Alex is quite the trooper though. We love him SOOO much and are so grateful that the Lord blessed us by sending him to our family. We can't imagine our life without him! He is one of the happiest little babies I've ever know, that is aside from at church.... :-), and his smile and sweet spirit is worth every moment of exhaustion, frustration, and stress we go through. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers for him over the past year. We as a family are grateful for your love and support.

5 comments:

BionicKatie said...

Hey Jess- you can go to the signingtime.com they have good dvd set that made for kids. he will pick it up easier.

Teresa Strum said...

Alex we love you! Jess, The way I taught signs to Brayden was to simply show him the sign for a certain thing several times and then give him or demonstrate that "thing". For example If he is acting like he wants his bottle/ cup prepare the bottle/cup and then before you give it to him show him the sign several times then give the bottle/cup to him. Be consistent and do it every time you give him a bottle/cup. As he starts eating more in his highchair and you notice he has eaten a lot and seems like he is finished and wants to get out, show him the sign for "finished" several times and then get him out. You are going to do great teaching him! I can imagine how you must feel a little overwhelmed, but just remember you first have you learn the letters/ words before you can make sentences. Same with learning a new language small steps at a time. You have always been such a strong capable person ever since you were a little girl. Alex is sooo lucky to have you and Steve for parents. And although some of the hard things you have to deal with must be so overwhelming, frustrating, disappointing etc. I am glad that Heavenly Father entrusted this spirit child with you rather than someone else in the world that would simply give up and not show the love and needed attention that Alex deserves. You’re Awesome!

Dave, Laura, Maggie and Chloe said...

I agree, signing time is awesome! We have 6 DVDs and the Library has a bunch that we just put in our request list and rotate thru. Maggie knows over 300 signs just from watching them...Dave and I have learned them all too, it's been pretty easy and natural to do. If you are interested in borrowing any of ours you are welcome to them anytime. They are really fun for the kids to watch, Maggie would rather watch signing time than any other video.
Alex is such a sweet, tough little guy, he's had to go thru a lot in his little life.
Seriously, if you want to check out the signing time DVD just let me know and you can come get them anytime.

Omama said...

Dear Steve and Jess:

It was such a nice surprise to see all these pictures and see Alex develop so well. I am sure both of you will have the strength and the patience to teach Alex. I think he is very smart and won't have trouble following your hands. I read Teresa's suggestion about teaching him one thing at a time, I am sure this is the perfect approach for all three of you. Hearing aids are so advanced and so small, they will be great!.
We keep praying and are sure that everything will be fine. We are looking forward to see all of you in April, such a special time. Opa send his love.

I hav e selected several pictures for printing, thanks so much.

Love and blessing, Oma/Omama

Brian & Chelsey said...

He has SUCH a cute smile!! Signing times is what i would use! i have heard (i want all the dvds for brax) its awesome and soooo easy for the kiddos to pick up signing! Good luck! everything will work out! i will keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers!! Love ya!